Ovid Lodge History
Ovid Lodge Number 164 Free & Accepted Masons Dispensation Granted June 14, 1853
First Meeting Held June 22, 1853
Second Meeting Held June 28,1853 In which the Constitution and By Laws were read and adopted
Charter Granted May 24, 1854
These meetings were held on the second floor of a two story log house, situated in the west part of New Columbus, and continued to hold meetings there until the early part of 1860. On October 11, 1859, the Worshipful Master was authorized to purchase a lot, on which to build a new Lodge. The new Lodge dedication ceremonies were held the second Saturday in July, 1860. This continued to be the home of Ovid Lodge Number 164 for a period of almost ninety-six years. This old building, being long past for repair or renovation, was dismantled from the northwest corner of that lot and sold. On November 1, 1955, construction was started on the present building located in the southern part of the same lot. The first stated meeting was held in the new Temple in April, 1956. Dedication ceremonies were held April 28, 1956. A burning of the mortgage was celebrated on May 9, 1958. Since 1958 we have been constantly striving to make additional improvements to our Lodge. In 1974, a new flag pole and historical marker, denoting the lodge's history in this area, was erected. On February 22, 1977, we closed our celebration of the Bicentennial, with the dedication of a time capsule. It's contents are not to be opened until the year 2076. On May 24, 2004, Grand Lodge Officers of the State of Indiana, with Grand Master Richard J. Elman presiding, performed a rededication ceremony to celebrate 150 years of freemasonary at Ovid Lodge. Afterwards, a catered dinner was server to about one hundred guests. The lodge had a engraved stone placed in the north side of the building to mark this historic event.