Newton Chapter No. 187
First Worthy Matron: Zelma B. Wagoner
First Worthy Patron: J. Yates Killian
This page is in Memory of Mrs. Lois Dellinger "Grannie" Love, Charter Member of Newton Chapter No. 187,
who was an 80 year member of the Order of the Eastern Star of NC,
and Past Worthy Matron of Catawba Chapter No. 124
November 28, 1907 - March 20, 2007
Thank-you for the example you set for all of us!
Brief History: Newton Chapter U.D. was Instituted January 24, 1927, by Brother Wiley M. Pickens, Worthy Grand Patron with 32 charter members. A special meeting was held on February 7, 1927 for adoption of the By-Laws and the Charter received a ballot box presented by Brother J. B. Leonard. The Chapter held its first regular meeting with 23 members present on February 14, 1927. At this meeting the chapter voted to buy a piano for $150.00. The Treasury being at a very low ebb, they had only $50.00 to pay down and the Purchasing committee was authorized to borrow $100.00 from the Farmers & Merchant Bank for six months. Also at this meeting they decided to purchase a cedar chest for storage.
The first petitions for degrees (two) were received on March 24th and two more at the April meeting. On April 19th the members were still so scared and green that they bundled up the two candidates for initiation and with 13 members went to the Maiden Chapter for assistance. The initiation was very beautiful. On May 23rd, with fear and trembling, they tackled the initiation themselves and from the 12 visitors present it was reported "They did alright!"
October 19, 1927 a special meeting was held for the purpose of receiving the Charter presented by Sister Alice Parker, Worthy Grand Matron. January 1928, the Treasurer reported that all bills were paid and a balance of $39.33 in the bank. The members were encouraged that they had made a material gain and felt so prosperous that they entertained the Masons at the first Anniversary Party. The Chapter room was first heated with a coal stove, then oil, then gas. Wonderful times were shared around that old stove! 1963-64 the lodge was air conditioned. 1966 we sold Claxton fruitcakes and made $1,000 to build a kitchen. 1983-84 Bar-B-Q dinners began and continued through 2012. With our thirty-nine members at that time, we prayed that with God's help, the Chapter will not fail in its purpose for which established.
As of the beginning of 2014, we currently had 3 life members, 0 Seventy-year member, 2 Sixty-year members, 7 Fifty-year members and we have had 5 District Deputy Grand Matrons and 7 District Deputy Grand Patrons.
In the Spring of 2004, Maiden Chapter No. 127 officially became part of the Newton Chapter No. 187 after 85 years of existence. In the Spring of 2011, Conover Chapter No. 313 officially became part of the Newton Chapter No. 187 after 54 years of existence. The current membership of these combined Chapter's as of August 1st, 2013 was 57 members.
Charter Members of Chapter No. 187
|Helen Bigam||Ethelyn Gaddy||Elizabeth Mauney||Annie Wagner|
|Henrietta Brady||Helen Gaither||Mary McGee||O. Clyde Wagner|
|C. H. Bost||Maggie Hoyle||Lucy Murray||C. C. Wagoner|
|Ina Bost||J. Yates Killian||
|Ester Capps||Mary Kuhn||Lillie Rhyne||Katherine Wagner|
|Veazey Cochran||L. F. Lutz||Olantha Rudisill||W. Murphy Wagoner|
|Irene Dellinger||J. B. Leonard||
|Lois Dellinger||Charity Leonard||
|Zelma B. Wagoner|
Click here for Maiden Chapter No. 127 History:
Link to Past Matrons and Patrons of Maiden Chapter No. 127
Link to Past Matrons and Patrons of Conover Chapter No. 313
Return to Home Page